Saturday, March 7, 2009

Media Computer

The media center computer stopped working so I had to fix it. The old video card was getting hot and the picture would freeze up whenever you did something video intensive like watching a movie. Being able to watch a movie is important for a media center computer. I worked on it yesterday but still need a couple of parts. The old power supply couldn't supply the correct voltages so I had to order a new one.


The inside of the old computer before ripping its guts out. The new guts. Sorry Kathy, I went with AMD. I wanted a quad-core and the Intel ones are kind of pricey.

Gutless computer box. The new motherboard.

The pretty blue memory, 4GB.

The chip with heat sink and fan.

All the wires plugged in. The first POST. I turned off the silly POST splash screen. I hate those.

Windows loading. Windows installed properly but after it ran for a while or if I did anything beyond system idle it would throw a BSOD with a 0x101 error. This turned out to be associated with power so after little more research and consultation with an AMD guru I know (Leslie), I ordered a new power supply.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! another person with window's vista! now i know a few people with it, including my lappy. hmm i think i must have touched that computer. i have a tendency to fry video cards(i think i've gone through 4 or 5 with my old desktop) it kind of weird, but i couldn't tell you the insides of a computer, i just been told that i fry them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love lots of comments so come back frequently and tell us what you think.