Saturday, February 26, 2011

Desktop Upgrade

I was getting a bluescreen of death (BSOD) several times a day. Analysis of the bug check dumps indicated that the motherboard was causing the errors. It was really annoying and since I need the thing for work I had to fix it. An upgrade was in order.

 100_8457 I had to replace the motherboard so naturally I had to replace the processor and memory.

 

100_8460 Kathy, you should be proud. I went back to Intel, those other chip makers just didn’t cut it. Intel is like a rock. No one ever got fired installing Intel procs.

 

100_8463 I didn’t need the drive space but the new motherboard had new drive technology so I had to take full advantage. This is the new SATA 6Gb/s. This is my new system volume.

 

100_8464 New motherboards need new memory. This is 8GB of DDR3 1600. Fast, very fast.

 

 100_8479Shades of blue mobo. Lots of holes and slots. Reminds me of the service tech motto “When in doubt, try another hole”.

 

100_8482 I had no idea that the i7 doesn’t have pins. It has flat contacts that line up with the socket. Zero insertion force is a lot better to keep from damaging your expensive new processor.

 

100_8487 The technical term for this is “the spring loaded chip cover thingy”.

100_8491 Hopefully the stock heat sink will be enough to keep it cool. Now, where do all those wires go?

4 comments:

  1. I am very happy to see that you purchased an i7!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you know what you're doing! And having fun with all your new stuff-thingy-s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim! This is Chris DeVane from Merritt Island, FL. Brandy and I just rediscovered your old blogsite and followed the trail to your new one. Good to see you're still up on the new tech. I just did my first full build a few months ago. I went with the AMD processor though; but it's doing pretty good so far. :) Brandy says to tell you, "Hi." I'll try to check back regularly for updates. Love your farm man! Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love lots of comments so come back frequently and tell us what you think.