Sunday, May 9, 2010

I’ll Try

I have received thousands of emails requesting that I post more on the blog. I have been slacking somewhat lately and for that I apologize. I will try harder to post more. We’ve had some bad weather so there hasn’t been as much progress on a lot of things as I had hoped. We did get most of the garden planted. We went with collards, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, eggplant and squash this year. The ground looks good now too. We added a bunch of rabbit and horse poo last fall and tilled it in. Then added more poo this spring and tilled that in too. We’ll have to gather some llama and steer poo as well.

100_7746 The Locust Trees bloomed last week. They don’t stay in bloom very long but it is pretty when they do.

100_7743

100_7754 The robins made a nest in our weeping cherry tree.

100_7761 I finally got some good weather today to put up more rafters on the tractor port. We had floods last week and this week it turned cold again. Today was chilly but the wind died down.

100_7760 This steer watched me most of the time I was out there today. I told him he was going to be on the blog.

100_7765 The peony bloomed.

100_7768 Lisa has flowers in all the flowerboxes along the porch.

100_7769 We extended the strawberry patch. We’ll train them into the tilled area. We can plant other stuff in there too. And in case you are wondering…to the soil we added poo.

100_7771 We should have quite a few strawberries.

100_7776 Ivy is doing great. She’s eating grain and hay now. She grazes whenever we let her come out. She loves the big leafy weeds.

100_7782 She got big! We might start taking her down to meet the herd this week or next. She needs to know that she is a sheep. She thinks she’s people.

I love Ivy’s stiff legged little hop-run.

100_7786 Lettuce on the left, collards on the right. The weedy area is red onions. We were hoping they would be bigger by now so we can weed them. They got hit by a couple of frosts, they might not make it. The lettuce has a little frost damage too.

100_7787 After the collards is another row of lettuce, tomatoes then squash and the last row is cucumbers.

100_7800 This is a little cluster of rogue tomato plants that came up from last years rotted fruit. We might have more tomatoes than we can eat.

3 comments:

  1. Great to see the blog pictures again. The garden looks wonderful.
    How wonderful to have flower boxes on the porch and maybe baby robins soon. Ivy is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post! I was having severe KY withdrawals! :-) Great pictures btw. Give Mom and Dad a hug for me when they get there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness, an update!! I was beginning to think I was just going to have to stop by and see what was going on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love lots of comments so come back frequently and tell us what you think.