Sunday, April 21, 2013

Free Range Chicks

We had some phone and Internet trouble after the last flood. The AT&T phone repair people never did show up so I fixed it myself. You may recall this post from last October. We cut the phone line then and I repaired it. Apparently in the recent flood there was some water intrusion. I dug it up and fixed it differently this time. Hopefully it works out better.

 In other news. I gathered up some old fence wire we had laying around and took it over to Nelson's. They make regular runs to the scrap yard with their dump trailer.

 Norman is still growing and still the worlds largest 4 week old calf. At least in our world.

 I cut up the old rotten tree that we pulled out of the creek. The flood had wedged it into the bridge grate.

 I used wire nuts this time instead of butt connectors.

 The underground burial splice enclosures were too expensive so I made some of my own. It's just a plastic container with a lid. I made a cut in the top to feed the wires through and filled the cup with silicone sealant. Then I twisted the connections into the sealant and snapped the lid on. The connections will be embedded in a solid chunk of silicone when it dries.

  I used an old trimmer parts tube for the other one. Lets hope these stay dry for a while.

 I think that's Ivy's boy lamb between the fence and the sheep catch pen. He's rubbing off his winter hair both sides at the same time.

 I lit the burn barrel today. It had some rotten twine and old hay along with the bark off the old tree. It was smelly.

 The chicks got to come out for the first time yesterday. The White Leghorns are ours. The Rhode Island Reds are Cathryn's.

 They are officially "free range" chickens now.

 Paige.

2 comments:

  1. Looks greener out there than the last photos.
    I believe your wire repair will work this time Jim.
    Look forward to seeing you guys this summer!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very ingenious solution to the wet wire issue. You are so smart! Lots of activity the last few days.

    Hi Paige!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love lots of comments so come back frequently and tell us what you think.