Thursday, January 29, 2009

Still No Power




Another night and day without power. It was 22 outside and 42 inside this morning. I took most of the day off today to get emergency supplies. It took a while but I finally found a generator at Home Depot in Lexington. They had about 20 pallets of them and were unloading them off the truck while I was there. They were flying out the door, to say the least. I haven't heard much news except for the news talk radio and they say over a million people in several states are affected by the storm. I got Lisa hooked up with the generator and a propane space heater. The space heater says it is safe for indoor use so hopefully it will be okay. It was already warming up in there when I left. I came in to Lexington to put in a few hours work. I'll be able to get a full day in tomorrow, but not from home :( One good thing I'll have is a shower. There's an old locker room in the basement from when this used to be a manufacturing plant. As far as I know it still works. I smell bad and haven't shaved since Tuesday. We're doing okay and we should make it through. We are supposed to get a thaw on Sunday. That will be nice because walking up and down the driveway isn't fun. I still have to park the van down there because there is about two to three inches of ice on the driveway. The neighbor man down the road saw me struggling with the 200+ pound generator and came over with his tractor and took it up the hill for us. His name is Nelson and he's my new best friend! I have to go to work now. I'll post again tomorrow with news.

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you now have the essentials. We got a generator the first year we were here because the power was unreliable. It makes a lot of difference in your peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it crazy how the pictures of it look so beautiful and pristine and yet it wreaks so much havoc! I'm really glad you were able to get a generator! How are the girls (Big and Little)and Lenny doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The little girls are fine. They like cold weather. They have on fur coats! We plugged the trough de-icer into the generator. There was a few inches of ice on it. They have been able to get water from the creek for the last few days but I think they prefer their trough. The creek is awfully far down there for them to walk ;)

    Lenny is sleeping through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathryn is right, it does look beautiful but when there's too much - yikes! I'm glad you got that generator.

    How are the little birdies doing?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love lots of comments so come back frequently and tell us what you think.