Sunday, February 8, 2009

Drainage

It has warmed up quite a bit. It was in the 60s all day today. We were able to get out and do some work around the house. Lisa picked up all of the poop that has been covered with ice and snow. At least the snow kept it fresh! Of course, melting snow makes everything wet so the mud is back. I dug a trench along the back of the barn today to create some drainage. I'll slope the sides of it once I get the grade right. We don't want the giant horse hooves to get damaged by uneven ground. I got it pretty close today before I got tired and quit for the day. My plan is to have it break over the hill and drain into the pasture. I put the cut dirt on the barn side to create a berm to help keep the water from running under the wall.


Lisa collecting poop. I think Satin might have been collecting some poop too.

I opened the back door on the barn to help it dry out. We have a lot of mucking to do in there.

It was difficult digging in the mud. It was difficult walking and standing in the mud.

I cleaned out the trench and the water started flowing out. It isn't opened at the end yet. When it's open all the water should run out onto the pasture.

4 comments:

  1. Short sleeve weather! We envy you. We still have a couple of feet of snow in the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I envy you Andy!!! You guys got plenty of snow and I didn't get any thing!!! By the way Uncle Jim very nice ditch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a difference a couple of days makes. That snow and ice melted quickly. I'm glad things are warming up there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like the girls are having fun in the warm weather. Most of our snow is gone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. We love lots of comments so come back frequently and tell us what you think.