Monday, July 5, 2021

Hornets. Poo. Knives.

Lisa was spraying the thistles that came up in the upper ram pasture. When she went down there she put the rams and llamas in their catch pens so she could work in peace. At some point this spring the hornets had moved into the weeds in the ram pen and they got angry. She saw the rams thrashing around in the pen and went over and saw the hornets stinging them on their faces where the wool is shortest. She was able to get them out without getting stung herself. The rams were out grazing this afternoon so I think they'll be okay. The hornets have declared war. I went down this afternoon and watched the catch pen for about twenty minutes. I saw where the hornets were entering and leaving the nest. Next is the battle plan. I think it will include diesel fuel and fire.

I saw them going in the clump of weeds. 

After the hornet reconnaissance I worked on the compost for a while. I didn't add any to it but I turned over everything I brought up last month and straightened up where the chickens dig in it. 
Before

There was a lot of white in it. My guess is ammonium nitrate from the urine.

So pretty.

I got my whetstone out to work on the Buck knives. Their blades are a little thick for the Ken Onion sharpener.

It's a MIKADO 1000/6000


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. We love lots of comments so come back frequently and tell us what you think.